Sunday, September 9, 2012

Interview with Stranger of the Week, Brendan Tufts: Androgyny is for Lovers


Brendan Tufts is pretty hard to miss in a crowd. 


 Deliciously fantastic, Brendan speaks to G/B about being a young creative mind armed with keen wit and a sewing machine. Conversing with people like this is what keeps me so aware that the world is indeed headed in amazing places. Ready to be provoked and moved by a complete stranger? Read on! 


GRABBAG:Interview commencing. You ready? 

Brendan Tufts: Born ready. 

G/BBeautiful. So, let's get through the basics. Born in 1990, that makes you 22, right?

BT: Yes, nearly 22 and a half. 

G/BThat's quite young. Have you always had fashion in your blood?

BT: Most definitely not. 

G/B: When did it come around, and what did it morph from? 

BTI always kind of appreciated fashion, but i never really considered it to be something i could get into. I ended up going to University of Virginia because I thought i wanted to be a doctor. I ended up taking an intro sewing class because I needed one more (fun) class to fill my schedule, and I absolutely loved it.

G/B: Wow. Well you can still be a doctor! Doctors are allowed to be stylish. Were you more of a ties and polos type back then? 

BT: More of a jean and t-shirts type. 

G/B: That was me as well when I was...what, 19? 

BT: 18. 

G/B: May I ask, are you gay? 

BT: Yes I am, and proud of it. 

G/B: And were you openly so when you were 18? 

BT: In social circles, yes. I came out when I was 17, but not to my family. It was always just a taboo subject.

G/B: And they're still a bit in the dark about it?

BT:  Not anymore. It was definitely brought to light under some unfortunate circumstances.

G/B: You still seem to be a rather jovial person. It's much more comfortable easing into yourself publicly when you have people who support you, so I definitely understand telling friends first. What was it like being young, gay, and remarkably stylish at a school like UVA?

BT: It's a lot of fun. I mean, in general the town is very conservative, but there is a great, really supportive community.

G/BI believe that once a person becomes comfortable with making themselves known, it inspires others to do the same. Often times really good friends are found that way.

BT: That is very true. There are a lot of really wonderful accepting people. 


G/B: Is Virginia your home? 

BT: I wasn't born in Virginia, but it's where I've lived the longest. I live in NYC now.  

G/B: How do you find the comparison? Do you miss Virginia at all, or do you feel more at home in a city like New York? 

BT: I'm most definitely more at home here, but I do miss the people I left behind in VA. Although, living in a big city is much more anonymous. In Charlottesville, I was practically a celebrity.

G/B: I think you still will be someday, which is why I'm chuffed to be getting the chance to interview you now!

BT: Thank you. *smile*

G/BWell my darling, what words of wisdom would you like the kids to wake up with today?

BTPeople always say, "Be Yourself," but don't just be yourself; be anything and everything you want to be. Don't settle for who you think you already are.

G/B: Damn. I don't think anyone could top that. Thank you for being so incredible. I can't wait to say "I knew him sort of!" someday when you're on the cover of all my favorites.

BT: Hahaha! hopefully that day will come soon. 
___________________________________________





No comments:

Post a Comment