Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hear Ye, Hear Ye! Unouomedude: an Artist Interview

The new track Frequency by Unouomedude (you-know-you-owe-me-dude ) has finally made its way to my open ears, and they are so so happy to make its acquaintance. This 20 year old Jacksonville Florida-based musician has succeeded in creating sounds that feel like the beach, even when there's snow outside my window. Not only does he look awesome, but has succeeded in creating music that would sound amazing in the likes of road trip sequences of indie films, background music in the car with that-cool-dude-who-gave-you-a-ride, or slow motion montages in your mind of a girl you fell in love with. It's that kind of music. Cinematic, and authentically youthful.
You can download this track or check out more of Unouomedude here.
Check out the interview below:

_____________________________________________________


GRABBAG: 20 years old, huh? When did you start making music?
Unouomedude: I wrote and recorded my first song in 8th grade, but I started this project when I was 16.
GB: Your sound is pretty chill. What kind of musicians would you like to talk to, either for musical influence or otherwise?
UNO: I'm not sure really who I'd specifically like to talk to. I think I'd like to watch them work more. People like Beck, Dave Longstreth, Chris Walla. Any musician or producer that I like, really.
GB: I have to say, I'm very impressed with your style, especially for such a young man.
UNO: Well thank you. I just wear whatever I like that is cheap or from Forty Ounce. I've been wearing the same hat for over five years now, though. There is a chance that this isn't about clothes, so thanks for that compliment too!
GB: Here's the big question. What's. With. The name. You know you owe me dude? Who owes you? What's it mean?
UNO: It doesn't mean anything, really. My cousin came up with Unoiouboi or "you know I owe you boy," and I was starting to set up accounts online, so I needed a username and I made "unouomedude." When it came to making music, I just couldn't think of anything else so I used that.
GB: Easy enough. So, when can we expect a full length album to drop?
UNO: I'm not sure exactly. As soon as have the tools to make the record I really want to make. I am really look forward to recording a full length!
GB: That sounds like a wise choice. Waiting isn't always a bad idea. Personal question here, but what's your favorite part about making music? How does it effect your everyday life?
UNO: Recording is my favourite part of making music. Just adding more and more parts until the song becomes a whole. There is always a point when I'm making a song and I just get this really giddy feeling. If I don't feel that, then I usually scrap the song. When the song is finished, I don't even remember coming up with it, but I just end up chasing that giddy feeling again. I usually make up at least on song in my head a day. Usually I don't record them, but sometimes they'll turn into something. I also walk around freestyling regularly.
GB: You rule. and something tells me that the music is only a side effect of this.
UNO: Thanks, but I'm sure you rule more.
GB: Psssh. Thanks for being a pioneer to all things rad. Will you let us know when you'll be touring? 
UNO: I should be touring as soon as my next record is out, so I'm banking on early 2012. I can't wait! 
GB: That makes two of us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment